Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Akita takes inaugural Wisconsin Marathon

Here's the recap of the Wisconsin Marathon from Sunday's Kenosha News.

I grew up in the Kenosha neighborhoods and the entire course covered my old running and bikes routes. Kenosha is about 35 minutes from downtown Milwaukee and 1:15 from Chicago. It borders Lake Michigan and Illinois.

After a challenging week for me health-wise and mentally, on race day my body was tired. I decided to race with "conversational" effort to still support the event and take my shot at the win. I walked off the course twice, thinking it wasn't worth the fatigue I was feeling, but the other runners were so positive and supportive I kept going and stuck it out. The course was beautiful, mostly flat and very scenic. The other runners were the best of the fans with two out and back loops. I'd recommend this race to any runner looking for a good time. The weather was ideal, 40's-60's.

You can see in the photo on the left, I pulled Vivian in with me at the finish to break the tape to win Kenosha's first marathon, my hometown course.

http://www.kenoshanews.com/sports/akita_takes_inaugural_wisconsin_marathon_4872873.html

No comments:

Post a Comment